We are pleased to announce that we have rolled out an custom online framing shop.
We couldn’t be more excited: it is, hands-down, the best online custom photo-framing solution in existence. Expect to get framed prints that are every bit as high quality as you would expect to buy at your local frame shop. They are hand made with sealed paper backs, just like local custom frames.
But you will find that our prices are on the average about half what you would pay in a local store.
Club members get free shipping, which is a significant expense on these.
- You can crop your framed photos any way you’d like. There is no requirement that you adhere to 8 x 10″, 11 x 14″, etc. You can frame, say a 5.3″ x 40.72″ photo if your heart desires.
- There are several dozen choices of frames.
- You can select up to three layered mats, in your choice of 28 colors (mats are only available on images up to 24″ on their long side).
- You can specify the exact type of glass to be used. Specify glass (standard, nonglare, or museum — which blocks 99% of incoming UV), or Plexiglas (standard or nonglare).
Framed images can be up to 42″ on the long side.
This is an easy way to frame panoramics or any other photo where you want it how you want it, and not according to some standardized format. And the pricing is spectacular. Consider giving one of these a whirl — could be addictive!
To buy one,
1. select an image, and place it in your cart
2. press the “Visit Store” button
3. in the Store, select “Framed Prints”
… and you’re off to the races.
We would love to hear any feedback you’d care to share with us.
You can link virtually any page or photo element in your dotPhoto account to your blog, discussion board or web site. You can also use these links in an email.
You can link:
- Your main album page
- Any specific album
- Any specific photo
- Any album beginning with any specific photo
For instance, here is a link to a sample album: http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=test&AID=6672239
This dotPhoto FAQ provides illustrated procedures for each type of link:
You can now pick up your dotPhoto print order at over 22,000 retailers nationwide.
You’ll notice a new button (“Order Prints for Local Pickup”) in our shopping cart. This works well when there’s simply not time to wait for mail-order. Limitations: 1. For the moment, you can only order prints and posters for local pickup. Other photo merchandise such as framed prints, puzzles, cards, mugs etc. must still be purchased in the normal fashion.
2. The price is likely to be higher than via e-commerce. We do not control local merchants’ pricing – that is up to them. That being said, when you get to the store, the price may be lower than you saw on dotPhoto, since local stores very often run print specials. Those specials do not always pass through to become visible on the system.
dotPhoto has just increased the single image upload from 12 MB to 16 MB for Club Members.
How big is that? The highest resolution for most printers is 300 dots per inch, so, if every single pixel were different, you could print a perfect 300 by 300 pixel-per-inch photo at 11 inches by 16 inches. This would be about 15.8 million pixels.
However, all pixels are NOT different: there are whole regions of sky and skin that have the same attributes, so most JPG files shrink significantly. In addition, large format printing devices (24″ to 60″) usually print at 72 to 100 dpi, so your 16MB upload can print the largest posters offered by dotPhoto.
One rule of thumb is that a each MegaPixel (MP) translates into roughly a half a MegaByte (MB), so a 32 megapixel camera will create roughly a 16 MB JPG file.
The Time to Upload Problem
Of course, very large images take longer to upload, so you might want to consider if you’re ever going to print more than a 4″ x 6″ print. Here are optimal image sizes in pixels for guidance in choosing image or print sizes:
|Print in Inches
||Less than 480 x 640
|4 x 6 (Minimum)
||480 x 640
|4 x 6 (Best)
||768 x 1024
|5 x 7
||864 x 1152
|8 x 10
||1200 x 1600
|11 x 14
||1600 x 2000
|16 x 20
||1600 x 2000
|20 x 30
||1600 x 2000
|24 x 36
||1600 x 2400
|30 x 40
||2000 x 3000
We have added an easy Re-Arrange feature puts photos in order to tell a visual story.
Choose Sort Album from the Organize bar, and then drag photos between other photos or to a different page.
Click here for a step-by-step re-arrange procedure.
We’ve made it easier than ever for dotPhoto Club Members to download all the photos in an album.
Here’s a visual and a complete step-by-step procedure in our Help system:
Downloading images from an album
Expedited Album Downloading is another special Club Feature.
To become a dotPhoto Club Member, click here. Get downloading, free merchandise shipping, phone support and more.